[ome-devel] ROI storage with OME

Ghislain Bonamy GBonamy at gnf.org
Wed Jun 10 05:49:29 BST 2009

Dear all,

I have programmed a tool allowing me to save objects calculated from Acapella into a Polygonal ROI format, which works great for shapes without holes (ex nuclei, cell borders etc).

While playing with different storage format, it became evident that storing the polygon as a chain code (along with the coordinate of the first point) was extremely space efficient and probably just as computing intensive to draw back the current system to store polygons. Using the chain code vs. set of point is about 3-4 times more efficient.

Because the volume of ROI outputted by High content imaging will become extremely voluminous, I was thinking that perhaps adding to OME an ROI model that stores polygon/polyline as a chain code would be very useful.

Finally for more complex shapes, perhaps a "Group of Point" model could also be implemented. This would be useful for complex shape that can not readily be turned into a vector (such as a donut, or other objects with a hole in them).

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts,

Ghislain Bonamy, PhD
_______________________________
Genomic Institute of the
Novartis Research