[ome-devel] Import again...

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Thu Aug 19 19:35:15 BST 2004

Hi Stefan,

Regarding the "semantic_type" bug, I reported it a while ago and Doug
has already fixed it. There is currently another TestImport issue
currently under investigation, which will hopefully be cleared up soon.

I am nearing completion of VisBio v3.00alpha3. The timing seems good
because I'll probably end up releasing near the same time as OME v2.2.1.
My hope is that these two releases will play nicely together again (with
respect to client-side import).

As for doing command-line client-side imports, VisBio3's code is pretty
clean for the most part, and writing a small command-line Java
application to do client-side upload shouldn't be too hard. The file
pattern detection logic is completely modular
(loci.visbio.data.FilePattern), as is the data object infrastructure
(loci.visbio.data.Dataset). The only thing that's not as of alpha2 is
the actual OME upload code (loci.visbio.ome.OMEManager). But I'll clean
it up for alpha3, providing an OME upload method for use with external
applications (if I have time, I may even code a simple command-line
client-side OME upload tool and include it with the alpha3 release).

The goal from the beginning has been for VisBio to function not only as
an end-user application, but also as a Java visualization toolkit for
multidimensional biological image data. Please let me know if you have
any comments, questions or suggestions.

Cheers,
Curtis