[ome-devel] Existing client side code in C

Joshua Moore j.moore at dkfz-heidelberg.de
Tue Aug 10 14:09:50 BST 2004

Ok. After a discussion among several of our developers, we'd like to
make something of a proposal.

We have a standalone C++ GUI which does various image processing tasks.
It's called Tikal, and the folks in Dundee have seen an albeit
less-than-perfect demonstration. It is used by our department, several
other departments of the DKFZ, and by the folks at EMBL. Perhaps others,
but it's certainly our main imaging platform.

We are in the process of getting our users onto OME, this of course
dependent on import and export. (Hence this and my previous thread.)
Leaving imports aside for a moment, the most critical step for us now is
to allow Tikal to access the OME servers, both DS and IS. (DS is
important for getting the time stamp info, Ilya, which we need for
simulations.) With such a comunication library, Tikal quickly becomes
YAOC (Yet another OME client).

What we'd suggest is that we combine our efforts. We can start working
together with Zachary on a libcurl/libwww solution ( though I think we
need to return to the XML-RPC/SOAP discussion ). Chris, it might be
helpful if you posted/submitted to CVS your code. Also, Zach, do you
have anything prototyped? Perhaps another round of brainstorming is in
order to work out some implementation details. Then we'll get started.

That's the first part of the discussion. The second deals with Tikal
itself. Tikal was (thankfully) designed to operate mostly as a library.
There's a thin layer of OpenGL that does 3D visualization, etc.
...Perhaps I'll just open this up for debate: does it make sense, once
we have the C bindings, to provide Tikal as a library and rewrite the 3D
code in JOGL for Shoola, or do you see a benefit in having a C client?

Ok. Enough for today. I'm going to the lake.
-Josh.