[FLIMfit-users] Dundee FLIM data

Munro, Ian i.munro at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Sep 12 15:46:08 BST 2014

Hi Markus

Firstly I hope it’s ok if I cc this to the FLIMfit-users mailing list
lists.openmicroscopy.org.uk/mailman/listinfo/flimfit-users<http://lists.openmicroscopy.org.uk/mailman/listinfo/flimfit-users>

just in case anyone might have similar questions.

An IRF gives the software 2 important pieces of information.
It allows it to estimate the ‘distortion’ introduced   by the instrument and ,crucially,  to estimate the position,  in time , of the excitation pulse.

In the absence of an irf,  FLIMfit assumes a “delta function-irf” which i.e. a perfect detector.
The Excitation pulse is then assumed to be at the first non-zero point in your data (after all, given a perfect detector, no fluorescence can be detected before the  excitation pulse).

In the absence of a measured irf you can use this to do a “tail-fit” .
To do this, estimate the peak of the decay by eye & exclude all earlier points from the decay using the time-min box on the data tab.

the attached screen shots illustrate this.

Beware though.  A tail-fit is fine for qualitative analysis. ( does  area a) have a shorter lifetime than area b)   ).
For quantitative analysis it is very dangerous as you are entering a crucial parameter ( the excitation pulse position ) by ‘eye’.

To select a region use the shape tools (square polygon & ellipse shapes) at top left.

Regards

Ian

[cid:CEFAA302-69A9-457D-B02E-A99762A13589]

Exclude data before peak.

[cid:FB65B70A-8BFF-4FEC-BE10-56A79F3EBC81]

Fit !   Note red line & residuals.

[cid:178D0F88-6EB9-4809-B03B-3F09A229BFB2]